The project manager – rail will provide management oversight for all phases of rail construction projects, including coordinating job site team, material and equipment; and ensuring that specifications are being followed and work is proceeding on schedule and within budget. The project manager will manage an entire project or, on larger projects with multiple project managers, a designated part of a project. This position may require travel with 2-week cycles at the job site and one weekend home. This is a highly visible position with responsibilities which impact the profit or loss of the company. This position reports to the rail operations manager.
As project manager - rail you will:
To be successful in this position, you will need:
- Plan, organize and staff key field positions through superintendents.
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards.
- Initiate and maintain liaison with client and engineer contacts to facilitate construction activities and manage the relationships.
- Monitor/control, through administrative direction of on-site superintendent, of construction project staff and subcontractors to perform and complete work on schedule and in compliance with contract documents, project schedule and budget.
- Represent McHugh in project meetings, meetings with governmental authorities having jurisdiction over the project, and other meetings necessary for project completion.
- Manage financial aspects of contracts (fee payment, rental equipment, income/expenses, etc.).
- Maintain good client relationships with a goal of obtaining future work from the client.
- Communicate and assist in enforcing safe working standards on projects.
- Collaborate effectively with other internal departments and employees including safety, accounting, legal, human resources, and marketing.
- BS, (engineering or construction management).
- 10+ years progressive experience/knowledge Class 1 Railroad construction or equivalent DOT experience, design, finance, and management required.
- Effective at managing client relationships to achieve corporate objectives.
- Ability to apply innovative and effective management techniques to maximize employee performance.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of corporate and industry practices, processes, standards, etc. and their impact on vital project activities.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills (tact, diplomacy, influence, etc.).
- Must be a business-oriented person.
James McHugh Construction Co. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, and or any other basis protected by law or company policy.
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability