The estimator - infrastructure will coordinate estimating activity for a specific trade or group of trades including subcontractor relations, bid scope preparation, bid management, bid evaluation, preparation of subcontractor bid comparisons, self-perform take-off and pricing and recommendation of the lowest responsible bidder for the work.
- Uphold McHugh Core Values.
- Solicit subcontractor estimates as well as maintain subcontractor relationships and assess subcontractor capacity.
- Assist chief estimator, vice presidents, and senioreEstimator in subcontractor bid list and bid preparation.
- Quantify the scope of work for each trade.
- Analyze subcontractor bid proposals and prepare bid comparison worksheets.
- It is expected that the estimator will have self-perform take-off experience in the following disciplines of work: concrete, concrete paving, earth retention, piling, earthwork, underground piping & sewer work, structural steel erecting work, and other miscellaneous work associated with bridges, roads, and other infrastructure work.
As Estimator - Infrastructure you will:
- Exercise discretion to obtain the best bids for assigned scope of work.
- Prepare accurate, organized, and concise scope directives with appropriate quantities for subcontractor use in preparing bid proposals. Coordinate scope directives with other estimators working with related trades.
- Develop and maintain positive subcontractor relationships through regular dialog with subcontractor representatives. Promote a positive image of McHugh to subcontractors and gather information from subcontractors that is advantageous for McHugh in bid preparation.
- Canvas subcontractors to ensure adequate subcontractor proposal coverage for all the trades for which you are responsible. Contact subcontractor suppliers and other sources in order to identify and contact all subcontractors working on each project. Identify gaps and coordinate coverage with senior estimators and other trade estimators.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the bidding documents including general bidding requirements and those requirements relative to your trades on each project. Organize the bid information in bid tabulation worksheets and review worksheets with estimators, chief estimator and vice presidents when necessary.
- Identify value engineering opportunities through analysis of bid documents and conversations with subcontractor representatives. Work with chief estimator and estimators to prioritize value engineering opportunities.
- Identify new bid opportunities.
- Complete and supervise other estimators with take-off and pricing to complete infrastructure estimates.
To be successful in this position, you will need:
- BS degree or equivalent combination of technical training and/or related experience.
- Construction management or technical training preferred.
- 4-5 years’ experience in construction estimating and related functions plus thorough knowledge of MS Office, On Center OST, and MS Project, and HCSS software.
James McHugh Construction Co. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, and or any other basis protected by law or company policy.
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability